Tuesday 22 September 2009

Buzzard in the graveyard

I'm currently in Pembrokeshire staying at my parents' house and looking after Monty the cat whilst my parents are away. Unfortunately because of some writing commitments, I've not been able to get out and about with the camera. However, today I did notice this large bird at the far end of the graveyard.

The next picture is taken from the front wall of the chapel. The bird is still a good 100 metres away from where I was standing. As soon as I tried approaching closer, it saw me and flew off, confirming that it was indeed a buzzard. There are many buzzards to be seen in this part of Wales. You can often see them circling in the sky, and occasionally perching on the tops of telegraph poles. However, it's rare you get a photo opportunity with one, as most telegraph pole sightings are when you're in a moving vehicle.

And here is a close-up:

I phoned home earlier. Apparently the hogs are getting through a whole tub of mealworms every night! My replacement battery for the infrared camera is yet to turn up, possibly it's held up by the chaos of the current postal strike. I'm still here in Wales for a week yet, so don't expect any more hedgehog videos or pictures for a little while yet. I'll try to get some other wildlife pictures if and when the chances arise.

2 comments:

  1. Well spotted. A bird I have never sen. Must have been a great sight to see it fly even at that distance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. A treat to be in a position to take a photo!

    ReplyDelete