Thursday 8 July 2010

Baby hog needs some attention

After your comments on my previous post about the baby hedgehog, I decided tonight that I needed to take a closer look at him. So, I waited quietly in the garden for a few minutes and he soon turned up. I picked him up and brought him into the house.

As you can see from these photos he does seem to be having a problem losing his spines. I'm reminded of Spud the hedgehog who lost all his spines and was treated at Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital.

Anyway, this poor little hog also had a nasty big tick behind his right ear, so I figured the least I could do for him was to remove it (using a Tick Twister). I then let him loose out in the garden again. If I need to capture him again, it should be easy enough as he is a regular visitor. Tomorrow I shall make enquiries.

4 comments:

  1. Good to get the tick off as they don't help anybody....I think you're doing the right thing letting him go while you make enquires as what to do for his skin condition.
    I'm sure you know but if he has mange humans (and cats) can catch it....
    I use Milton sterilizing tablets to soak all my hedgehog crockery...before it goes into the dishwasher....

    ReplyDelete
  2. He/She looks as if it may have ringworm. I would definitely bring it. I am no expert, I always look on The Hedgehog Forums (http://www.hedgehoghelp.co.uk/index.php?board=2.0)for help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penny Little of Little Foxes wildlife rescue centre has seen the photos, and she also says it looks like he has ringworm.

    I'm hoping to catch him tonight and try to get him to her for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete