Wednesday 2 March 2011

It's Samson the Seal

OK, so this wild animal isn't exactly in my back yard, but it is an example of local wildlife - you just need to get to certain places on the coast in order to see it. I was walking with a friend on a section of the coastal path in Abercastle, Pembrokeshire, when we saw this face watching us from the sea. The seal seemed just as curious about us as we were of it. It was particularly exciting because neither of us had seen a seal in the wild before. We saw three more a little later from the top of the cliffs, but obviously not as close up as this.

Oh, we called him "Samson" as we were walking to the nearby ancient burial chamber known as Carreg Samson.

As ever, click the photos to enlarge.





These photos were taken on Saturday, 26 February 2011.

1 comment:

  1. Great photos of the seals. I have not seen any with the white colorations like Samson has before. I am glad you enjoyed their company.

    A few years ago, we were both going around Slea Head, near Dingle in the south west of Ireland and I exclaimed with delight "I am sure I see seals down there". Unfortunately, my better half took a closer look and said "You should have gone to SpecSavers". The seals were actually humans out surfing.

    ReplyDelete