Monday 19 October 2009

A little hog comes to visit

Here's a new visitor to the garden - or at least one that I haven't seen before.

I spied this little hog in the feeding station. I could make out that it was sitting in the
feeding bowl eating "Spike's Dinner" and flinging it around all over the place. I thought I should take a closer look to see how big - or little rather - it actually was.

As you can see, the hog is small enough to sit in the palm of my hand. Which doesn't bode well for surviving the winter. I weighed the hog and found it was 300g. I then put it back outside in the feeding station where it curled up and I put plenty of food down for it. I quickly checked the St Tiggywinkles website to see what weight hogs should be to survive a cold winter (600g) and was just about to ring them when I checked the feeding station again - and it was gone.

I feel annoyed that I let it leave, but to be honest I wasn't really sure what I should be doing. I shall ring Tiggywinkles tomorrow and ask for guidance should I see it again. I hope it returns!

22:48 - MORE... The little hog hadn't gone far. I found it curled up asleep with the dead leaves of a finished courgette plant barely covering it, just a few feet away from the feeding station. The poor little thing is now in a pet carrier with a towel and a blanket for warmth. I've put some food and water in the pet carrier for it. It's currently sleeping, and I'm a little concerned about it. I tried a couple of phone numbers - both Tiggywinkles and a hedgehog carer in Oxfordshire, but neither were answering. I'll try again in the morning, if the poor little thing makes it through the night.

4 comments:

  1. Is this any help - http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/FAQS/Aut.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us know what happens to your new baby. I have a couple of small hogs who haven't shown up for a week or two and I am waiting to weigh them and have prepared a small area in my conservatory to bring them inside if necessary. I suspect they are about 300g too. It will be my first time overwintering so any hints or comments on your experiences would be much appreciated on how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kevin.

    Hi Malia. I don't really have the space or facilities to keep a hedgehog in captivity for a sustained period of time. I think I may have to pass on this little one to a more experienced hedgehog carer or a wildlife hospital.

    Anyway, the hog has been sleeping, and it has woken up and has been eating and drinking. It seems OK for now and should survive the night alright. I'll make some calls in the morning and see what recommended course of action I should take, or if anyone is able to come and get him/her. (Unfortunately I do not drive so can't take the little hog to a wildlife hospital myself).

    ReplyDelete
  4. UPDATE: I took this little hog to St Tiggywinkles wildlife hospital where they will look after him/her over the winter. See my blog post of Tuesday 20 October.

    ReplyDelete