Monday 17 August 2009

Trying out the hedgehog feeding station on the lawn

Just by way of experiment I've put aside the lid of the hedgehog feeding station and positioned the feeding station upside-down on the grass so that the grass itself is the floor. It certainly saves on lining the bottom of the feeding station with newspapers!

The hedgehogs themselves seem quite adaptable and seem to like this arrangement. I couldn't say if they actually prefer it this way, but they seem to make a lot less mess. However, one drawback is that for videoing purposes the grass itself is highly reflective to the infrared light source, so for the next hedgehog videos I will move the feeding station back onto the patio as previously.

On the subject of hedgehog videos, I've not made any recently because my laptop is being repaired following a disk failure, and the software I have on my desktop computer quite frankly isn't up to the job of editing the videos. Hopefully by this time next week I'll have the laptop back and will be able to resume the hedgehog videos. I actually captured some lovely footage last week but wasn't able to do anything with it. It's most frustrating.

By the way, I wouldn't recommend using a feeding station like this with the grass as the floor if you have foxes visiting. They are probably cunning enough to put their nose under the side and flip it over.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic pics… at first I thought I’d tuned in to the latest episode on the hedgehog TV channel! A special Report perhaps ;-)

    Hope you get your laptop fixed so we can see your latest footage. I’ve not seen many visitors here recently. I’ll need to actually start looking out again… that would be a start ;-)

    ReplyDelete